It’s just not Easter without Josef's Hot X Buns – Tastes so delicious hot out of the oven, not to mention how sweet it makes the whole house smell!
290 ml Water
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp, Butter
1 tsp, Salt
2 tbsp Sugar
3 ½ cups, Bread Flour
2 tbsp, Milk Powder
1 tsp, Bread Improver
3 tsp, Dry Yeast
1 tbsp, Ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp, Mixed Spice
1. Place all the ingredients in electric bowl mixer (with hook) and knead for 15 minutes
2. Then add the following ingredients to the bowl and knead for a further 5 minutes:
- 1 cup/100g Sultanas
- ¼ cup/45g Mixed Peel
3. Divide dough into 18 pieces and turn out on a lightly floured surface. Shape into rounds. Place rounds close together on a greased baking tray.Cover with lightly greased plastic food wrap and leave to stand in a warm place for 20 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Blend together 2 tablespoons of water and ¼ cup/40g plain flour until a smooth batter is formed. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with small piping nozzle.
Note the dough must have risen. Remove cling wrap from rolls and pipe a cross X onto each bun.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Slide buns from baking tray onto wire rack to cool.
7. Brush the buns with glaze made up with 1/3 cup of warm water & 3 tablespoons of caster sugar